a.k.a. Marionberry Pancakes
Recipe adapted from Bobby Flay/Portlandia
Pancake Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/4 cup cornmeal, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 3 separated eggs, 1 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp sugar, scant 1/2 tsp lemon zest
Compote Ingredients: 3 cups of marionberries (blackberries), 1/2 tsp lemon zest, 1/4 cup sugar
1. Mix the dry ingredients for the pancakes. Then in a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, milk, ricotta, 1/4 cup sugar, and lemon zest. Add the flour mixture and stir until well mixed.
2. Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until there are soft peaks. Beat in the 1 tbsp of sugar and fold the egg whites into the batter.
3. To make the compote, combine all ingredients in a saucepan with 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and stir and crush the mixture until it thickens – about 10 minutes.
4. Heat up and butter the griddle or pan. Pour a 1/3 cup of batter into the center to form the pancakes. Cook until golden brown on each side.
5. Serve with compote on top of pancakes, with extra berries (and leftover Korean fried chicken).