Spicy and sweet, ginger is a very versatile ingredient. If anything, make this so that you will be able to bake these delicious salted dark chocolate and candied ginger cookies.
recipe adapted from Food Network
Ingredients: 1/2 lb fresh ginger root, 2 1/2 cups water, 1/2 lb sugar
1. Peel and slice ginger into thin slices. Place ginger in a sauce pan with the water and cook for 30 minutes.
2. Drain the ginger, keeping 1/8-1/4 cup of the water. However much the ginger weighs, measure out the same amount of sugar.
3. Bring to a boil the ginger, water, and sugar. Stir frequently for twenty minutes, as the sugar will thicken into a syrup and eventually crystallize.
4. Transfer the ginger to a baking sheet to cool.
Salted Dark Chocolate Candied Ginger Cookies
recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker
Ingredients: 1 cup + 1 tbsp all purpose flour, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, salt, 1 stick softened butter, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup packed brown sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 egg, 3/4 cup chopped sea salt dark chocolate (I chopped up a pack of Lindt Sea Salt Dark Chocolate), 1/4 cup candied ginger – chopped
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Cream butter and both sugars together. Mix in the vanilla and egg.
2. Add the dry ingredients, followed by the ginger and chocolate.
3. Form 1 tbsp sized balls and set on a greased baking sheet.
4. Bake for 10 minutes.