The end of the year is often a very busy season in terms of workload. At the end of an exhausting week, I like to reward myself with an easy sweet treat. These gooey butter cake cookies have all the adjectives I love about desserts in one title – there was no way I could pass on making them as soon as I stumbled upon the recipe. They use minimal ingredients and taste as delicious as they sound.
Ingredients: 4 oz plain cream cheese, 4 tbsp softened unsalted butter, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 large egg, 1 large egg yolk, 1 cup + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour, 1 tsp baking powder, pinch of salt, 1/3 cup powdered sugar
1. Beat the cream cheese and butter together until mixed well and fluffy. Slowly add in the granulated sugar while beating.
2. Mix in the vanilla extract, egg. Add the flour in sections, beating to mix well. Cover the bowl of dough and refrigerate for 30 minutes – DO NOT skip this step.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees. Scoop out heaping tablespoons of dough, coat in the powdered sugar, and place on a baking sheet.
4. Bake for 14 minutes. The cookies should brown slightly on the bottom, but not on top, so keep a careful eye on them!
5. Coat with more powdered sugar on top if necessary, and serve warm. Your stomach and heart will thank you.
The original recipe notes that the cookies should be cooled before eating, but I think anything with a gooey cake-like texture is best when eaten hot from the oven!