These sweets are a great dessert treat and easy to make. The addition of the sour cream adds to the moisture in the dense rich cake batter of old-fashioned style donuts.
Recipe adapted from Handle the Heat
Serving Size: 3 donuts
Donut Ingredients: 1 heaping cup of cake flour, 1 heaping tsp baking powder, 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tbsp room temperature butter, 1 large egg yolk, 1/4 cup sour cream, canola oil
Glaze Ingredients: 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp corn syrup, pinch of salt, 4 tsp hot water.
1. Sift the flour, sugar, and nutmeg together.
2. Mix the butter and sugar together, followed by the egg yolk. Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture in sections, alternating with the sour cream.
3. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hr. In the meantime, make the glaze by combining all of the ingredients and whisking evenly.
4. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough evenly to 1/2″ thickness. You can use biscuit cutters to shape the donuts, but I got a bit creative and used the opening of a wine glass and a teaspoon (for the hole).
5. Heat up about 1 inch of oil in the frying pan. Fry the doughnuts for about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
6. Set on paper towels to dry and cool slightly. Dip one side of each doughnut in the glaze and set aside for the glaze to harden.