An elegant grown-up version of one of my favorite childhood comfort foods. As you are probably starting to tell from this blog, I love carbs and dairy.
This recipe came about after eating BLT grilled cheese sandwiches for four days straight and I became desperate for another dish to utilize the cheese and basil!
Ingredients: 2 cups milk, 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup chopped basil, 1 teaspoon chopped garlic, 2 tablespoons each of flour and butter, salt and pepper to taste.
1. Cook pasta and set aside. Chop the basil and grate the garlic.
2. Heat butter until it melts and then add in the flour, garlic, and some salt. Stir with a whisk until it is a light gold color. This process of combining flour and butter into a creamy mixture is called roux. It is often used as a base when making thick, rich sauces.
3. Add the milk and continue stirring until the liquid boils. It should thicken up in the meantime.
4. Turn off the heat and stir in the cheese and basil until all of the cheese is melted.
5. Serve with the pasta and garnish with additional basil if desired.